Tuesday 25 March 2014

Community: Making Connections

The children spent some time thinking about and discussing 
what roles people have in the community.
The plastic people helped to prompt their discussion and were useful as we told "What If" stories . . . 
What if the firefighter catches a bad cold, who would she see in the community?
What if the baker couldn't get to work because his car had a flat tire, who could he see?
What if the girl wanted to learn to read, who could she see in the community?

Making Connections:
What are the roles people have in the community and how do we help each other?

The children made an accordion book of people in the community identifying their role 
and who they're going to see and why. They had fun telling their stories!

Esme - This is my mom. She's going to see my dad because they're going to get married. This is my grandma, she's going to see the nurse because she is sick. The nurse is going to see my grandpa because the nurse doesn't know what to do with my grandma. He goes to see Papa, papa knows what to do!

Tyreese - This is the nurse, she's going to see the fireman because she has a fire. The fireman goes to see my mom because she has a fire. My mom goes to see my dad because he has a fire. My dad goes to the doctor because my doctor has a fire. The doctor sees another doctor because he has a fire too!

Oliver - This is a firefighter, he sees the tire man because he needs a new tire. This is a doctor, he calls the firefighter because there's a fire at the hospital. This is a mommy, she's going to see the doctor to get the baby out of her tummy.




No comments:

Post a Comment