Tuesday 5 May 2015

Express Yourself: I'm Speaking To You!

Speaking in front of others is a learned skill. The children were very clear in their understanding of what they should remember when speaking to others . . . 
** look at the person (or people) you're talking to
** use a calm loud (but not too loud voice)
Today's activity provided the children an opportunity to practice listening with their whole bodies and being a good speaker. They spent time with building toys to work on an idea and then everyone took a turn speaking about their idea while the others listened. 

Sofia and Ryleigh decided to work on an idea together. At one point in the beginning I noticed that one person was giving the ideas while the other was watching and I asked them if they remembered that both people's ideas should be used. From then on they both contributed ideas. When needed we used the charts to remind what is expect. After Bela's turn I asked the children if they knew he loved animals, they reflected and said that they didn't know that - it was a great example of how sharing ideas helps us connect with one another. 

Elaine - I love animals and animals in the a water

Bela - I made an animal museum because I love animals

Michael - I built a dinosaur house because I love dinosaurs

Tyreese - oh dear Tyreese! He had build a big 4 story structure and moments before we stopped building and he didn't want to tell us what his idea had been.

Chloe - I built this because I love triangles.

Ryleigh - I love farms and animals and that's why I wanted to build about it.

Sofia  - I love animals and to feed and pet animals and so does Ryleigh and that's why I wanted to build with her.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment