Tuesday 14 January 2014

Place and TIme: How We Communicate; Telephones

Because I am a saver of things I still have the rotary telephone that used to belong to my grandparents. The children were intrigued! I presented 3 phones: a cell phone, a touch pad phone and a rotary phone. The children showed me what it looks like when they make a call on each. 
They were all familiar with the cell phone.
"Is that an iphone?" asked Esme 
"My mom and dad have iphones." said Alan
The history of the telephone

A lesson was given on how to make a call on the rotary phone and on how to answer the phone politely "Hello, Oliver speaking." Alan made a pretend call to his mom. Esme called her dad, her baby brother and Nana and Oliver called a talking apple!







Oliver initiated an idea, he told us of how his grandma made a telephone with him using a straw and paper muffin liners. Great idea! We didn't have straws, instead we used pipe cleaners. Esme and Oliver used them to call each other and have a conversation.



No comments:

Post a Comment