Tuesday 26 July 2011

Group Time week of July 25

Book: If You Give A Pig A Pancake by Laura Numeroff
Subject: Science and Math



"If you give a pig a pancake, she'll want some syrup to go with it." The cause and effect nature of this story lends itself well to the children making pancakes as they think and predict "If I add this pancake mix (solid) to the water (liquid), I get pancake batter (liquid)" and "If I add this pancake batter (liquid) to heat (hot pan), I get a pancake (solid)" I left the last sentence for the children to complete "If you give a child a pancake, you get . . . " Anne gave the perfect response - "Sticky!"

The children decided which syrup they like more blueberry or old fashioned. We used a graph to collect the information and to see which syrup was most preferred.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer maple syrup. I wonder what other parents prefer. Maybe one of the children might like to create a mini data chart of parental preferences.

    ReplyDelete