Tuesday 7 October 2014

Friendship: Is Sharing Easy or Hard?




Yesterday I asked the children what friendship means.
"Sharing"- Ryleigh
"Making bracelets" - Sofia
"Racing" - William

I used their ideas to plan todays group time. "The Best Gift of All" is a story that identifies friendship being the best gift of all rather than material things.

The children made bead bracelets. As they exercised hand-eye co-ordination and focused on stringing the tiny beads I asked if they would share their bracelets or keep them. At first everyone except Tyreese said they would keep their bracelets. After a reminder that sharing is different than giving away they decided they would share their bracelet.
Who will you share it with?
My little brother - Bela
My brother - Michael
My mom and my brother even though he's mean to me - Ryleigh
My dad - Billy
My sister - Chloe

Later in the day, I noticed that some chose to share with other children at school.

Is sharing hard or easy?
The children reflected on this and had 4 choices; easy, hard, a little bit easy or a little bit hard 
A little bit hard - Bela and Ryleigh
A little bit easy - Billy and Chloe
Easy - Tyreese
Hard - Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment