Monday 2 December 2013

We Decorate: Are Decorations Important?

The children know that decorations can be found on people and things.

"Are decorations important?"

We took a poll and discovered that everyone in the Fire Group thinks decorations are important. Rielle prompted the next question when she added "It makes stuff beautiful!" 
I asked everyone to explain their thinking "Why are decorations important?"
"My mom wants to see my pictures" Sophie
"My mom wants to see decorations" Jayla
"My mom likes my pictures." Tyreese
Byron and Rylan didn't know why they think decorations are important.

"What would the world be like if there were no decorations?" 
Rielle offered "It won't be beautiful. People would look and say let's decorate it 
but there would be no decorations!"
The story "The Big Orange Splot" by Daniel Pinkwater illustrates what life would be like with no decorations. When a seagull accidentally drops a blotch of orange paint on his house it prompts him to decorate his house to reflect his dreams. The children created their own "Street of Dreams" using watercolour to decorate their house.

No comments:

Post a Comment