Tuesday 11 September 2012

Function: The role of friendships

The Role Friendships Play in Our Lives

To begin today, we explored the meaning of function - one of the key concepts in this unit. I presented a tray of items and it wasn't long for the children to connect the meaning of function to what something does. For example, the function of scissors it to cut things.

We discussed what the function of friendships could be. They recalled that one function is to have someone to play with but they couldn't think of another idea. I presented the story Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers and Julia recalled hearing a story by the same author where the friends helped each other. "Do friends help each other?"
Sharing stories of helping each other.
The children recalled memories of friends helping each other.


Julia – A week ago at Teigan’s house we were in her bedroom singing, she had a CD and we listened to the songs and danced around but then her pinky got blood and I had to go because she had to go to preschool. Later when I met up with her I asked her “How’s it going?” and she told me about her toe. I think I made helped her feel better because she knows I care.

Rocco – My mom babysat my neighbour’s kid and me too. The mom and dad had to go out and my mom helped them by taking care of the kid.

Simone – My dad has an Ipad and it has a story of Barbie Rapunzel and she helps her friend out of a hole.

Esme –  I helped Sofia find the magnet tiles and I helped her to make a castle.

Sofia V – Today in the forest we were playing Batman and Orin helped me get the bad guys.

Inspired by the long journey the penguin and the boy took in the story the children used their feet to paint a picture representing the journey.

Making footprints

Not sure about how the paint feels

The Journey

2 comments:

  1. These blog posts are wonderful. They will help us to talk about the day and new ideas at home. Looks like lots of fun. Thanks Wendy!

    -Kieran (Esmé's Dad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Kieran! The kids watch me as I write these blogs and are aware that their pictures are on here. They look forward to looking at them with their parents.

    Would love to hear of any connections she makes at home in relation to her learning here! Feel free to send an email if you have a good story to tell.

    ReplyDelete