Tuesday 4 October 2011

Group Time October 4

Teacher Question: how does music make us think and feel?

We listened to the Irish Fiddle music again and reflected on how it made us feel. The fiddle is a string instrument. The music we listened to today was also played on a string instrument from China; an Erhu. First we listened to the music and then we watched the video clip. The children were entranced and wondered aloud why the man was sad. "Maybe he got a cut," Rocco offered.

The children reflected on how the two pieces of music made them feel and recorded their answer on a chart.


Using a colour chart the children selected a colour that represented the feeling sad for them and used it to paint a "sad picture". Just like the man in the video who was obviously thinking sad thoughts while playing the Erhu, I asked the children to think of what makes them sad while they painted.

Here's the link if you'd like to listen with your child and talk about this very important feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omc6zROf7q4&feature=related

What makes you sad?
"When someone pushes me." - Adyson
"When I bumped my lip today on Byron's head." - Rocco
"When Charlie pushes me down on the kitchen floor." - Julia
"When I broke mommy's door." - Byron
"When Adyson pushed me I get sad." - Chloe
"When I fight with Adyson." - Hao Hao
"I can't remember what makes me sad." - Natalya

No comments:

Post a Comment